How it works

Q. Can I bring my caravan?
Yes, of course.  Just tick the relevant box on the booking form if you will be bringing a caravan or campervan.

Q. I haven’t got a caravan – can I bring a tent?
Yes, of course. We have all sorts of campers at Folk Camps – some with small tents, some with palatial dwellings – domes, pop-ups, frame tents, ridge tents, trailer tents. Also caravans and camper vans.

Q. Can I bring my dogs?
A. Yes, up to two dogs per family are allowed on a Folk Camp but you must follow the guidance for dog owners.

Q. Can we bring our bikes to a Folk Camp?A. Yes, of course.  The only rules with bikes are: no cycling in areas  that could be a danger to others (The camp Warden will explain where is unsuitable) , and please keep your bikes where other people won’t trip over them in the dark.

Q.  How do you manage feedback from campers to staff and council?
A. Every camp has a sealed comments box where written feedback can be submitted either anonymously or signed.  Every comment from every camp is forwarded to Council. We always encourage feedback whether commendation or suggestion to be given in person as soon as possible.  If it’s a suggestion then it gives an opportunity for action to be taken there and then.  And if it’s a commendation then it’s always beneficial to give and receive that.

Q.  What about Health and Safety on your camps?
  We have a properly developed H&S policy covering our activities.  Besides the warden who will check each site for hazards, it is of course every person’s individual responsibility to act sensibly and with due care and attention of themselves and others.  For instance, see the question about bikes.

Q. What do you do about First Aid?
We have a well-stocked first aid kit at every camp for the thankfully rare occasions when it’s needed.

Q. How long have people been Folk Camping?
A. Folk camping, as we call it, started back in the early 1960s when a few families got together to enjoy family holidays and share their love of folk music activities.  The idea snowballed and before too long an organisation was formed to manage the growing community of Folk Campers. In time as it became clear that the promotion of all things “folk” at Folk Camps was a valuable educational activity, so Folk Camps Society Limited - a registered charity, was born.

Q. Do I get a reward for introducing people to Folk Camps?
A. Yes, there are various incentives which we operate from time to time.  See the Introduce a Friend page and the New Camper discount.

Q. If I find a suitable site for a Folk Camp and it gets used, do I get a discount?
A. Yes, if we use a site recommended by a member we reward them as they are few and far between.  If you have a suggestion, please let us know by email the office.

Q. I’ve heard people talk about “The Council” – what is it and what does it do?
A. Folk Camps Council comprises the directors and trustees of the organisation. They are volunteers, elected by Folk Camps members. Council is responsible for finding sites, deciding prices, formulating strategy, etc. Also attending Council meetings are our various contractors.  They are not employees but are paid for some of the work they do. Much of the work that is necessary to manage and run the organisation is done by volunteers.

Q. Is Folk Camps Society a company and what happens to the profit from Folk Camps?
A. Technically we are a company limited by guarantee and a charity. The organisation isn’t supposed to make a profit other than one which provides for future financial stability. Most years we pretty much break even. But if we do make a large profit in any year it is ploughed back into the running costs to ensure that we can continue to promote folk, music, dance and song activities for future generations.

Q. How does an Associate member differ from a Governing member of Folk Camps Society?
A. Anyone who books on a holiday with us becomes an Associate member of our organisation. For a nominal fee of £1 per year (paid 5 years at a time to keep admin costs down) you can become what we call a Governing member.  Governing members can vote at general meetings and also stand for election to the Council of Management which runs Folk Camps Society Ltd. Governing members are also eligible to apply for Development Grants.

Q. I’m still not sure it’s right for me.
Contact the office and they will give you the phone number of a Folk Camper who is happy to chat to you and share their experiences

Q. I might want to book a Folk Camp in the future but not this year. What’s the best way to keep in touch?
A. Email the office and ask to be put on our mailing list and join our Facebook page to receive the latest information on sites and bookings.


Frequently Asked Questions




Who goes

How it works